Friday, June 8, 2012

An update a long time coming!



Wow! It's been a little over a month since my last post and that was for the super awesome contest The Writer's Voice! I feel horrible for not posting, but I wanted to post something new only when I knew it was worth writing about. So, here's what's been going on since my last update.



The Writer's Voice: 

Well, as the button above that also used to be on my sidebar said, I was a part of the awesome Team Brenda! Our coach, the amazing Brenda Drake, helped me whip my ms into shape and set me on a revision race that ended with me loving my ms more than I had when I originally entered! Let's just say, she rocks!

So, my entry was put through the word wash, spit shined, and then posted on, Brenda's blog for all to see. Cheers were thrown mine and Spark's way and we love you all for doing so! Agents shopped around, but sadly we found no love in their arms. But don't worry! There's a happy ending coming--sort of!



#WVTP or Writer's Voice Twitter Pitch:

After some rocky road ice cream and a good chick flick, I did exactly what the White Snake picture says above. There I went again, down the only road I've grown to know. (Okay, sorry for almost quoting lyrics. I'll stop now.) Query in hand, I started thinking about what my next move should be. Well, I didn't have to think long because the wonderful all-stars of The Writer's Voice had talked a few dazzling agents into a twitter pitch party three days after my heart had been broken.

I had to sit and think about this. I had basically been turned down on Monday and by Thursday morning, I had to be ready to put my heart... I mean, ms back out there again and hope we wouldn't be shot through the heart one more time. Well, I'm an author! And as an author, I have to put myself out there no matter what happens. So, I got to work on my 140 character pitch complete with the #WVTP hashtag. It wasn't easy, but after using what my awesome coach had put to introduce me as her team member, I had something I thought worked and so did a lot of others.

Thursday: 12pm EDT/11am CDT my time rolled around. I'd went to bed around 6am, but sleep refused to come. So I got up at 10am, pitch in hand, ready for the party. Twitter freaked a few times on me, but it was okay. The party hadn't started yet, so it was allowed to live another day. Time for the agents to show up. I threw my pitch out along with a few hundred others and got nothing. Not even a nibble. My awesome friend, Erica Chapman, snatched one of my tops picks attention and I hoped I'd catch his eye too.

A few hours passed and I was way loopy by then. A pitch was being fought over by a few agents and one was chosen as the winner. One agent said something I found cute and funny, so I tweeted him that I'd pick him! My coach/friend mentioned something after I'd sad something, and one thing led to another...



The results of a wonky brain and a hail mary pitch:

It was getting late. Only a couple hours left for me to get someone to even want to peek at Spark. So, I threw a hail mary pitch out, never dreaming it'd catch someone's eye in the middle of the sea of amazing pitches being thrown out at the time.

My jaw dropped when the same agent, the one who'd asked my friend for her ms and I'd been joking around with/flattering him, said those magic words! Yes! The awesome agent, John M Cusick, said that he liked both movies I'd put in my pitch and wanted to read my ms!! I squeed so loud that my hubby almost feel from his chair before I told him why. A happy dance and some sleep later, I was doing a read through of my ms again & polishing my query before sending it off, praying he'll fall in love with it and ask for us to be on his team!


While I'm waiting patiently:


Agents are very busy people, so to keep myself from constantly checking my email, I've signed up for CampNaNoWriMo! Yep! I won November's NaNo, so I'm trying my hand at June's! I'm already 16K in and I think I'm loving this wip more than I've loved one in a long time. So, keep your eye out for an update and maybe even an excerpt!


And here it is!:

I feel another contest coming! During my time away my blog reached over 100 followers! You know what that means? Yep! I'm cooking up a contest with a prize or two in mind. So, watch out for it because it's coming your way soon!

Until next time, happy reading/writing everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Aww I'm so glad you got John's attention!! I was excited for you-- for us! GO CampNaNoWriMo!! Awesome job on the word count!! See you in the trenches ;o) I mean, by the camp fire ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I didn't get a bite in the twitter pitch contest, but I'm so glad you did!

    And I think maybe I'll catch you around the campfire. I'm at camp, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete