Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Views Of A Young Reader, Writer, & Blogger. Guest Post by Brielle B.

So, I've been meaning to ask my good friend, and adopted baby twitter sister, to do a guest post for my blog. Finally, today I got around to asking her. Not for one minute did I think that she would get to it so fast. I wasn't even sure if she'd accept my inquiry. After giving her a list of things that I wanted her to write about, I'm sure glad that she decided not to turn me down.


I will now introduce you to this awesome young lady, who may only be fourteen but has views on the world that far out do people three times her age! Ladies & gentlemen, I present to you...Brielle!





As a young reader, what draws you to certain books & turns you from others?

As for what draws me to books, I really like Paranormal YA, along with Dystopian. I'm a hopeless romantic, as well, so I completely adore when that's added in, as well.

I tend to not like realistic fiction, because one of the main reasons I read is because I like the odd things that come along with fiction. But I do like some of them.

Why do you read?

I read a lot when I was younger, so it was just a thing I enjoyed for a while. When I was a bit older, I didn't know what MG/YA were, and I was tired of the “little kid” books, so I gradually just stopped. When I moved to this new town, I was pretty shy and I didn't like talking to people, so I kept to myself. Books were my form of escapism during that time and it just stuck.

Why do you blog?

As selfish as it sounds, it's really for me. I love all of my followers and readers, but the reasons are all for my own benefit. I blog to rant, to get things off my chest, to share my opinions. I'm still surprised that people actually find my little ramblings interesting enough to want to read more.

What made you want to write?

Think about this makes me feel a little dim, but the first time I ever attempted to write something serious was in second grade. I don't remember much. I didn't realize that I was writing. I just sat in front of a computer and started to type out a story. I think it was about my best friend and I, but we were twins and loved to cook. We were going to win a cooking competition and we had awesome cars and I punched her in the face while sleep walking. It was pretty strange.

It's subconscious, I guess. When I was little, I would love telling my father stories about being out in the yard and meeting a talking bunny who wanted me to help search for his pocket watch, because he was terrified of being late (Bet you have no clue who that is..) or being kidnapped by bandits and fighting them off, running away, and meeting a boy who helped me get home.

Your experiences with writing?

Like I said, it's always been there. I like to think it was meant to be, that I was just made to do it.

I remember that I had this idea floating around in my head and it wouldn't leave me alone. This was sixth grade year, and I was bored and I just started typing, like last time. It was really awful. I didn't use spell check, and I wasn't that great with the rules of grammar. But I, at the time, thought it was really awesome and I let my friend read it. She, of course, said it was great.

I had a ball with all of that. I was pretty naive, having no clue how publishing worked at all. I made my friend my agent and she read everything I wrote and just told me it was great. I didn't mind that at all, but it wasn't helping.

I quit writing that, for some reason. I got frustrated or something. But my music teacher brought up something that they did in high school, which was writing books for small kids. I lit up, because I already had “experience” with that. I told all my friends, who were equally excited about reading it as my previously mentioned “agent.” I picked it back up and started letting my friends read it. One friend, who is now my best friend and writing buddy, saw something in it. For a while, she read everything I wrote. I don't know if she had any writing experiences previously, but, one day, she randomly brought up something she was working on. She asked me to read it. From then on, we've exchanged writing.

I'd like to say that we've gotten a lot better since then.

I've picked up a lot of things, only to get frustrated or think of a new, better idea. I'd put that one down, start working on the next, and pick up something else. Now that I have people over the internet reading it, and, dare I say it, a few fans, I don't think I'm allowed to put this one down. I really think that's what I needed to keep me going: just someone to read it, but not because they had to.

Your experiences with reading?

Almost always positive. Books are such lovely things. I have a lot of trouble not liking a book once I pick it up.

I don't even remember the first book I read, but I'm sure I liked it.

Any advice you want to give?

Don't give up. Ever. If someone tells you that you're too young, or too dumb, or too anything, you just prove them wrong. Write. Read. Do what you love.

Also, don't be that person who's like, “Oh, you're a writer? You're doing what I always wanted to do! I used to write all the time!” I mean, seriously? WRITE THE BOOK.
 
Regards,
 Brielle


I love Brielle's view point on things. I have found someone in her that reminds me of myself at her age. That makes me believe that she is very special. But I'm also partial! LOL! I want to thank you so much for doing this post, Bri! You did wonderful!!

You can Brielle on twitterbook review blog, & her writer's blog. I encourage you all to check out her blogs ASAP! She truly is an amazing writer & young old soul!!

Now, happy writing everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. Well this was a brilliant idea! You're both on a strong and solid road to success. I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete